The shooter is a disturbed seventeen-year-old named Tyler Browne. The story is told from the perspectives of four students over the span of 54 harrowing minutes. The narrators include Tyler's former girlfriend Claire, Tyler's younger sister Autumn, Autumn's best friend Sylvia, and Sylvia's twin brother Tomas. All of them feel some responsibility for Tyler's emotional breakdown and therefore the deaths of so many friends and relatives.
As long as shootings continue to happen is our schools, we will need books like this one to help us understand how and why these horrible events happen. Hopefully, we will begin to pick up on the signs that students are in need of emotional and psychological help before they reach the breaking point.
Awards and Honors:
- #5 on the 2017 Teens' Top Ten List
- YALSA 2017 Quick Pick for Reluctant Yourg Adult Readers
- Goodreads YA Best Books Pick 2017
- Goodreads Choice Award Finalist for Young Adult Fiction 2017
- Hate List by Jennifer Brown
- After by Francine Prose
- This Is Not a Drill by Rebecca Mc Dowell
- She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Barnall by Misty Bernall