- Taking Liberty: The Story of Oney Judge, George Washington's Runaway Slave by Ann Rinaldi
- The Underground Railroad;: A Novel by Colson Whitehead
- Underground Man by Milton Meltzer
- Steal Away Home by Lois Ruby
- Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbone.
Twelve-year-old Charlie is down on his luck: His sharecropper father just died and Cap'n Buck -- the most fearsome man in Possum Moan, South Carolina -- has come to collect a debt. Fearing for his life, Charlie strikes a deal with Cap'n Buck and agrees to track down some folks accused of stealing from the cap'n and his boss. It's not too bad of a bargain for Charlie... until he comes face-to-face with the fugitives and discovers their true identities. Torn between his guilty conscience and his survival instinct, Charlie needs to figure out his next move -- and soon. It's only a matter of time before Cap'n Buck catches on.
If you are interested in other books about runaway slaves and the Underground Railroad, try these books from the Turner Ashby Library collection:
I am a former high school English teacher and now a high school librarian.